Nov 8, 2011

Sprained ankles, hip replacements and strokes!

A LOT has happened since I last had the time to write here. First of all... notice the name change of the blogg? I didn't really like the demonic part so much because that doesn't really fit me, but after trying 1001 options because every single name is taken (yes, no two roller girls in the world have the same name), you kinda lose sight and then I chose wrong. But one day, on my way home from practice it hit me. Manic Medic. Fitting in SO many ways! So I'm very happy with it.

Number two that happened: I did a long internship which I just finished last friday. First a period at the hospital where I felt very much like I was playing a part on Grey's Anatomy and then a period at a stroke rehabilitation center, where I felt very much like an incompetent cow. In the end I got very good evaluations on both though, so all was good.

Does the jacket make you feel safer?
Thing three that happened: over summer I became the vice president of our wonderful league: Lueå Roller Derby! I really don't want to let our fast growing league down, so I'm doing the very best I can without drowning. Everybody who has ever been on the board of a roller derby league, knows how easy it is to drown. So far though, it's just loads of rewarding fun!

Thing number four that happened: over summer I also became the trainer for our league. This is supposed to be a temporary thing, because we would of course like to have a dedicated trainer that doesn't play her-/himself, but it will probably keep going for quite a while. I love training our league! We have the best bunch of girls that are all strong individuals. And it's great experience for me: I only have a little more than a year left on my degree to be a physiotherapist, so not only do I get to practice my knowledge of training physiology and theories on training motivation, I even get the occasional patient, haha! Cherry Lawless was one of two girls with a sprained ankle.

©Joakim Norrgård
Now we are preparing for an away scrimmage against Umeå. I'll write more about that next time! :)

Still wishing you derby kisses,
Manic Medic

3 comments: