Jan 17, 2012

Who's with me?

I have finally collected enough courage to decide to do this...

 I want to be a jammer. 

There, I said it. Now I better make it happen. Yes I'm big, but both Mad Maloony, Gothenburg and my teammates have shown me that body checks not holding on me can be a real asset. The part that lacks most right now is fitness though. I've said it before... a jammer needs to be able to skate full speed during two minutes while constantly adjusting her direction and speed based on the other "traffic" and she can't die at the end because there are plenty more jams to be skated. Two minutes is a long time to be stop-start-sprinting.

So when I reach my goal I can do this without losing control based on exhaustion. It's all about control! 
But now, after a year of skating, I have decided to no longer wimp out. I am going to do it. I have the knowledge of training physiology to do it, so why not apply it to myself? Once this cold is gone, I'm back in the gym and getting my interval fitness up! I know Miss Maniac was talking about needing a higher level of fitness... who else is with me?

It's always more fun to have a goal together with others than to try and keep up the discipline by your self.

5 comments:

  1. count me in :) when I do jam during practice, the whole group is afraid of me because I am like a MAC truck (a lorry)... I handle jamming like a blocker. And let me say that it has it's advantages! (as long as I don't back block)Looking forward to this... I have one request: please provide as much structure as possible to make it easy to follow. The more specific, the better! And in return, I promise to give feedback and updates on my progress!
    Deal?
    moshpit molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I think I'll do it like this: I'll make a separate "tag" just for this challenge. It will be mostly directed at fitness and some strength. Agility is something we'll have to do ourselves, separately on our league trainings. It wont go as fast as usual training bloggs, since I'm just not that kind of girl ;).

      I'm not sure if I will have the time to write out programs here, but I can write about my own progress and what setups I used. Then you can try out the same and adjust it your own level and ways. :) And yes, please post your results and any questions.

      Delete
  2. I started as a jammer - and I am for sure not a small girl... YOu should look up Anya Heels from Rat City, she is an old teammate of mine and does an aaaamazing job, both jammin and blocking.
    And one ting does not rule the other out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can find about her, thanks for the tip!

      No indeed. I think I'll end up doing a combination, but it would just feel nice to at least be fit enough to be able to jam without feeling the need to die. ;)

      Delete
  3. Spinning can be a great help for endurance. Good luck and Just do it! xxx

    ReplyDelete