Sep 2, 2012

Monthly scrimmages!

Yes! yes! yes!

Due to circumstances of babies growing in bellies, people studying in different cities and a sprained ankle here and there, we no longer have a full team of at least 14 players. We have however about 15 Freshies eager to fill up the spots.

Even though we only had 9 skaters available we decided to go ahead with this plan of having a scrimmage a month anyways. Our 7 (!) refs need the practice, Freshmeat learn heaps about the game by NSOing and the skaters can't go a full season without competition. So last Thursday we had our first one. And it was a blast!

Wether it was being on the jammer longer, placing more controlled hits or working more tightly together, all of the girls showed new and improved moves. And I found that I really really liked bench coaching.

Team white: Gaby Grenade, Petra Pak, Trasher Smasher and Cherry Lawless. Bench: Lucy SlayHer.
Refs: Svary Mary (+ passenger) and Major Bitter (head ref for the event).

In the box: Wicked Rosie (probably a back block/forearms) and Badass Babuska (high block)
© Carolina Makkula

4 comments:

  1. Sounds aweseome! Can't wait until I've gotten some more practice on the skates :)

    Also, very much waiting for a pic with Burgos on the skates!! ;)

    Lotsa love from us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! He was actually reffing at the scrimmage. :) I'll try and sneak shoot a pic at some stage.

    I'm so excited about you getting into derby. Have you ordered skates yet? How often do you guys train? Were you at the bootcamp with Alotta Riot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gotten my skates, and have tried them out on one training and it feels great except for the fact that I'm in the worst shape I've ever been and also am carrying 20 kg too much weight.

    We have 3 trainings a week coming up and 2 with Ordy's times I won't be able to attend all of them but I'll find other ways of training, finally I found something to motivate me!

    I wasn't rolling in the bootcamp but I was there watching for a couple of hours and it was a huge motivation to try and reach minimum skills as soon as possible.

    Am now also struggling with finding a suitable name, but it'll be something with Jaze in it ;)

    ReplyDelete