Sep 21, 2012

Coaching trap #1: power-tripping

Thank god I have been well aware of this one before it snuck up on me. It doesn't mean I don't do it. Just saying I'm aware of it. It's a delicate question that has tightrope dancing as an answer.



The biggest tool in navigating this trap is setting goals. Both team goals and individual skater goals. You are there to help the team and the individuals reach their goals. You are not there to create your personal dream team and conquer the world. At least that's the case at our league. All are welcome to join and if you put in the work (and have passed your minimum skills) you are encouraged to play no matter if the work you put in payed off or not. Motivation and fun are key in our league. Inclusiveness.

That means that the coach is only there as a catalyst. The players express their wishes of what they want to accomplish (their goals) and you provide the means for them to get there as long as they themselves bring the motivation.

Ok, sounds as a nice ideal that should eliminate power-tripping coaches, right?

Well, yes and no. I have quite a lot of background knowledge when it comes to training. I combine that knowledge with what I find online, see in games, hear from other coaches and see on our own trainings into drills that I think the team needs to get to those goals. While doing those drills it's me that's holding the whistle, it's me that's registering testing results, it's me deciding (out of safety concern) who gets to participate in which exercise, how to deal with lengthy "water breaks," how to deal with late comers. It's me deciding when I want them to die in a heavy training, or when we'll focus on skills or tactics.

That's where the tightrope dancing comes in. Use and recognize mirrors when they're being held up in front of you. Why did you decide on letting that late comer do those extra speed laps? Why did you decide to give a cold shoulder to a complaint and in stead pushed that girl to push her self even harder: "your legs can't cary you anymore? You're standing here talking to me while your legs are holding you up. Go!"



That's when you use a mirror: was that my ego, enjoying the power rush, or did that have a function towards the goals of the team/skater?

Punishing the late comer with some speed laps has had as a result that the only other time during this season so far that people have been late was when there was a big accident on the main route to get to our venue. That means more effective training time for the hole team which will result in better chances of reaching the team goals.
Pushing the girl to push her self longer, harder and further was done with one of her goals in mind (getting better results at 25 in 5). It showed her that she still had reserves left when she thought she was finished.

That's one of the reasons why goals are so important. They really are your number one tool. You can (or should be able to) always link your decisions to the pursuit of those goals.

I guess this post is making me sound like a drill sergeant, but I'm far from. As I said at the start, I'm just the facilitator for the skaters to get where they want to be and hopefully their will, hard work and motivation and my enthusiasm and knowledge of training will get them there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment