Sep 2, 2012

Science you said?

Yes I did!

A few months ago I started to prepare my thesis project (for my physiotherapy degree) and since then it's just grown out of proportions! I'm scared to death of it now, even though I am also very much looking forward to the results.

My professors approved the first sketch of my plan before the summer which described how I wanted to map out which injuries happen to who in which situations and why (lots of correlations there, hehe)  so as to create a base line to make the sport safer through well thought out athleticism (you know, doing the right types of training to prevent these injuries as best we can). Of course we already have an idea of how to do this. BUT this idea on how to this is based on studies performed on young (semi) pro male athletes on either shoes or hockey skates. I do not look like them, I don't have their athletic background and I don't put in the hours that they put in (I totally would if I could). Very few of us derby players fit that description and that's why it is important to start mapping and researching our sport and future based on us. And that's what I'm gonna do. Yikes!

It's gotten rather big. Euroderby.org and WFTDA have both promised to help spread the word and the questionnaire, so if all goes well I will be looking at thousands of anonymous answers which would really create such an awesome amount of data that it can (and probably will) create new questions to take derby further into sports science.

Tomorrow the next term is starting and in about two weeks time the questionnaire (that is almost finished now) will be up for scrutiny by both my classmates and professors. After that it will run through a pilot (a small group gets to answer to it, to see if everything is clear and if the questionnaire is actually answering my main questions). After that I'm hoping that you will find it in a link near you! And if you do, please fill it out! I will love you for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment