Jan 18, 2012

Designing a personal program, step 1.

My cold feels as if I might be ready to start my journey tomorrow, so let's get ready! :)

Where to start? Well, two things are important to know, we can start with the first one today:



1. What is your goal? 
Be specific! "I want to be a jammer." Is not a goal you can work with. You could put on a jammer panty and you've done it. What do you need to be a good jammer? LOADS.. yeah.. well.. let's break it down to something you can measure and let's make it something that is functional (running the 100m in under 11 secs is really only very functional when you compete in that line of sport or when you need to catch a bus). When I look at jammers that impress me, I notice a few things: speed, agility, fun, explosiveness, speed adjustments and the big one for me... being able to have all that during intervals of two minutes. That last one is what I will be calling fitness through out this series: the ability to keep control and speed during intervals for a longer period of time (or to have a lower pulse while performing the same thing).

My goal would be to be able to jam every third jam during 3 x 20 mins (to begin with). That means I can skate my lungs out one jam, catch my breath during the second and prepare for the fourth during the third jam.

Unfortunately due to the mechanics of the game (lead jammers calling off jams, not getting lead jam and having to do a full jam of chasing the lead jammer) this goal can't really be standardized and is therefor not very suitable. In stead I want to be able to run (not jog, run) 8 x 2 mins with 1 min of walking in between. I am not a runner by any means. At the moment a very slow jog gets me up to at least 80% of my max pulse (more about those numbers in later posts).

Goals should be:
- specific (what, when, how)
- measurable
- reachable
- small (the big fat goal of being the MVP at the Olympics can only be reached in a safe way by taking small steps... and reaching a goal every so often is much more motivating than not reaching any goals until you hit the big one)

Good luck with defining your goal! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment