Jan 19, 2012

First weeks plans

Now that I know where I stand, I can slowly start devising a plan. I'll start with a one week program and see how I feel at the end of that. We usually have derby mondays, thursdays and sundays, but just this week the thursday moved to friday.

Intervals: 10x7, 8x(2x10, 1x6), 10x6 (here you can read on what this means)

Friday - 2 hours of derby training
Saturday - intervals + strength training
Sunday - 2 hours of derby training (including some dedicated strength with MADicken)
Monday - 1 hour of derby training (probably)
Tuesday - intervals + strength training
Wednesday - no time. (child from 6.30 to 8.00, school from 8.15 to 16.00, stables from 16.30 to 18.30, then dinner and then there's death on the sofa)
Thursday - 2 hours of derby training

I'm keeping the next two times of running on starter level because of two reasons: 1. to ease my body into more training than it has done the last couple of months, and 2. to ease my mind into it as well. I'm not Sporty Spice. It's hard for me to stay motivated and then it is important that you don't forget what is important: It is better to move a little at a time than to not move at all. So keep it easy and enjoyable. It will get harder soon enough. And I say "easy" but it's not like I didn't break a sweat ;).

So what strength training to do? 

Well obviously the whole body is needed. But I just don't have the time between my studies, family and derby to put in such thorough training. So choices have to be made.

I will leave the legs for now... They get trained while training derby and while running. They will need explosiveness, but that will come later in the program once my general fitness is at a higher level.

The part of utmost importance is, as always, your core. Every movement you make originates in your core. That goes for everyday life as well as for derby. What's your core? Imagine wearing a corset that reaches from just underneath your breasts down to your pelvis... That IS your core. Your core is exactly like that but sits just underneath your skin (and possibly some fat). It is several groups of muscles that work together to make sure you can stand up straight without collapsing at the waist. It is the groups of muscles that can keep you in derby stance.

So... back lifts, side lifts, sit-ups, diagonal sit-ups, plank, sideways plank, etc. Take your pick and make sure you get all sides.

I really think a strong upper back and shoulders is important too. Derby people never seem to think of this and hardly ever agree with me on this, but I'm a stubborn almost-physiotherapist, so i'm going for it anyways: whenever you fall on more than just your knees or get a really hard hit, your shoulders and neck always have to absorb a lot of energy. Your shoulders are the most unstable joint in your body and are not built to take that kind of force. The only stabilizing factors there are some ligaments (untrainable) and muscles (very trainable!). So let's strengthen that area up and prevent injuries! (plus a trained upper back and shoulders are just god damn sexy!)

A trained woman's back... so beautifull.
I don't really want to write a strength training program here, It's not the main focus of my goal and what works well really depends on the individual so if you need inspiration on which exercises to do, look around online. If you have specific questions I can surely try to answer them. I like answering questions, so go ahead! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you can count riding as training too, a bit of strength for the core area at least ;)

    ReplyDelete