May 8, 2012

Science behind roller derby?

Hello derby world! I want your help!

In a previous post you could read that my ultimate dream (professionally) is to become the link between roller derby and medical/movement/sports science. No better time to start with that than now. Now is the time in my education where I have to start sketching the thesis that will help me to get my degree in physiotherapy.

The world is covered in thousands and thousands of flat track roller derby players and I would like for that community to come together and help me still our hunger for knowledge. Right now most of the knowledge we use to base our trainings and rules on is based on sports medicine based on other sports. We are not 19 year old hockey athletes, nor extreme marathon runners. We are a unique mix of well trained, less trained, highly motivated or recreationally playing women (leaving merby out for this purpose) with or without other sports in our backgrounds. We play on quads which demands different things of our bodies than ice-skates, running shoes or inlines.

At some stage during the next 6 months I will send out a (anonymous) questionnaire and I sincerely hope that every single one of you will fill it out. This questionnaire might contain questions about your athletic past, how long you've been playing derby, how often and how you train but most of all injuries you might have suffered during your derby career and possibly before.

Most common derby injury?

To make this more interesting for everybody I'd like some input on which question you think my thesis should answer. Possible questions include:

* What is the main type of injury sustained in FTRD (flat track roller derby)?
* Which player has the highest risk for injury in FTRD? (could correlate to background, age, body type, training hours, type of training, position she plays, etc)
* When in a derby career exists the highest risk for injury? (fresh meat period, first bouting season, top national/international level skating) (why then? what's different to the other periods?)
* What is the average recovery time for derby injuries? (additional questions could be, why so long/short?, how to define "recovered"?)
* ???

I understand that many of these questions seem unnecessary, because we know the answers either by using common sense or by looking at what's happening in your own league or country. But to be able to answer the more interesting questions we need to create a scientific base line first. We need to have proven that a certain statement is true before we can use that statement to do research on why that statement is true, if you get what I mean.

You can reach me with anything you'd like to tell me concerning this thesis (question to answer, research that's been done already (derby specific), your personal story, email addresses to send the questionnaire to, etc) on Facebook, via e-mail: m.pauelsen@gmail.com or just by leaving a comment here.

Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment