Aug 5, 2012

The birth of a coach?

A year ago I became the one responsible for training at LuleƄ Roller Derby. My qualifications? Not much:
  • Knowledge gathered during a then half completed physiotherapy degree (now almost done). Aside from all the anatomy in relation to movement there was also a PT like course and some motivational courses. 
  • A certificate that (in Holland) allowed me to teach sports in primary school + plus some experience of "illegally" teaching sports in high school.  
  • 6 months (!?) of derby practice.
  • I was willing (and driven) to take the responsibility.
If I'm being honest, it was probably mostly the last point that landed me the position and I have to admit that that willingness has been tried during that first season. I had to catch up fast on how to coach and motivate a group of alpha ladies. Now I know better... it's not ME that is supposed to motivate them. But it took me a full year before I learnt that highly valuable lesson. And now that I've learnt it, I will have to find a way to balance it into my coaching style for the next season. 

Coaching style you say? Oh yes. There are many philosophies out there. Most of them directed at coaching major league football teams in the states. But you know, some of the main principles still apply. Autocratic vs democratic, selling vs sharing etc. And from the jungle of wishy-washies vs straight-shooters I pick the things I like. Not because they suit my personality, but because they will most likely resonate well with the players on our team.

I have made so many mistakes during my first year of being trainer, but luckily I have learnt a lot from them. I will surely make many more mistakes this coming season, but hopefully they will be new mistakes and I'm looking forward to learning from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment