Feb 11, 2011

AAAaaaargggghhhhh!!

I'm gonna cry soon. I really hope that this period of injury after injury will pass at some stage so that I can just train and play the game. Now that the pain in my knee has started to go down (I still couldn't do more than half an hour of training on it) the pain in my ribcage is getting more obvious. I hurt it on the same night as my knee by rolling over my arm during a barrel roll fall. So far it was an annoying pain that came up with heavy breathing, coughing and stabalising activity in my stomach and back muscles, but now it's hurting continuously, I hear clicks when I roll around on to my other side and the pain is almost unbearable when I move about or cough. I don't think the rib is broken but even if it is, the doc wont do anything. So all I can do is wait.. wait.. and then wait some more. I'm going nuts and fat due to not training (tried 45 mins of low intensity biking at the gym, but that left my knee hurting like crazy afterwards) and being in pain is so tiring!

This was the moment I stopped training full contact karate all those years ago. I was getting some form of minor injury as soon as the previous one was almost healed and decided I didn't want to live in pain on purpose. Why would I want to do this to myself? Back then the only pro I ended up finding was "because it's cool/tough to be good at this as a girl!"

I'm not giving up yet.. but man I'm feeling very down about this all. I really hope that this is just a beginners period of shit. The other beginners don't seem to get injured as much though. So what is this? I'm not generally a cluts.. or am I.. *looks at the previous post about all the broken bones while growing up*

Meh.

PS Sorry about all the whining. But this is a blog about the journey of becoming a player in a full contact sport. Journeys go up and down. If not they are nothing to be proud of in the end. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Well it's not totally surprising that you would get a few injuries just when starting training and going ALL in at a contactsport like this.

    I don't exactly know your history but if it's been a few years since you were training and now starting up with all sorts of things maybe your body just need some time to adjust?

    My advice is take it slow at the start and give your body time to heal these first injuries properly, it will make you stronger and you can keep going for many years instead of heading all in before you're healed and getting more and more injuries all the time. ;)

    Best of luck!
    Jaze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much sweetie. :)

    I was actually training more before I started this. I started training running last summer with my eye on running half a marathon this coming may. I didn't get any injuries from that. These injuries I'm getting are coming from crashes. And you are right.. it's to be expected to get a few injuries, but it just seems to me like I'm getting so many. :(

    I am now taking it easy, like you said. I skipped two trainings and last night I only did the non-contact part of the training and nothing at full speed. And only half an hour. Thanks for the advice! *kram*

    ReplyDelete